On thursday night I had some fairly urgent reading to do for the next day’s class, but my brain didn’t want to have anything to do with that. It was in a sewing mood. And I happened across this pattern for a reversible shoulder bag….
So I wandered out to the study/server room/sewing room/stuff room, and pulled out my big bag of fabrics. I’m a sucker for fabric, although I usually manage to confine myself to remnants. And whadda you know – a while ago I’d bought a bunch of remnants because they looked just right for making bags! And then I’d forgotten all about them 😛
I picked the stripy one to start with, and my plain calico to go with it. The stripy fabric wasn’t quite big enough for the pattern piece, so I had to do a bit of clever stuff with the shoulder strap, adding on a separate piece to make it the right length. I decided it’d be cool (and look better) to add the plain calico to the stripy side and the stripy calico to the plain side. I decided to add a couple of pockets, similarly swapped. The stripy pocket had to be little, because that was all the fabric that was left…
I’m pretty pleased with the result, and with how easily I managed the making-things-up bits – no real stuff ups… It looks really neat – the seams are all as they should be, the gathers on the bottom are nice, the top-stitching looks good, and I think the hand-sewn parts are good and strong. I’ve been convinced of the goodness of pressing and tacking before you sew 😛 I’m slowly getting mad sewing skillz! Hooray!